Reading Community Church, (RCC) successfully obtained planning permission to redevelop Grovelands Chapel at 553 Oxford Road, Reading. The redevelopment will involve the demolition of the existing buildings and the erection of a new facility with combined religious and community spaces that will include:
- Retail spaces with street frontage
- Commercial suites
- Residential units
- An auditorium with seating and amenities for large groups
- Conference facilities
- Dedicated areas for religious activities
- A community café and/or restaurant
OUR INVOLVEMENT IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD
By redeveloping the Grovelands Chapel, RCC wishes to provide a modern, fit-for-purpose church centre and community centre that will support the growth of the flourishing Christian community while serving the residents in a variety of ways. As RCC and its local congregation grows, it is planned to develop additional services for the community which include:
- Parent and Toddler groups
- Youth work
- Activities for older people
- Debt Counselling
- Support for job seekers
- Community Café / Restaurant
- Full range of Christian services
BENEFITS TO THE COMMUNITY
- The existing derelict building with be replaced by a modern, multi-use facility.
- Whereas the historic purpose of the building was to facilitate religious services with a degree of community use, the new facility will be adapted to encourage a significant increase in community use.
- The facility will be geared to cater for social, commercial and religious needs.
- Residents and organizations will be able to hire the auditorium and the conference facilities.
- The isolated, lonely and vulnerable will have a safe environment where they can reintegrate with society at all levels – spiritually, socially and practically.
- A primary objective of the facility is to provide a broad spectrum of family activities focussing on young and old alike, with consideration for single parents.
Please see Oxford Road visuals below: